Advanced Diploma in Personal Training
An intensive, 6-week course giving you advanced Personal Trainer skills
About this course
The Advanced Diploma in Personal Training course consists of the Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training, an internationally recognised qualification, that we have combined with an impressive range continued professional development modules (CPDs) that will enhance the portfolio of services you can offer your clients.
In addition, and as part of this course, we have introduced a brand new Behaviour Change module which develops your skills to more effectively coach your clients to become more active and adopt a healthier lifestyle. The recently revamped Business Principles module will guide you through setting up and building your business whilst providing you with skills to successfully gain and retain your clients.
This 7-week course will give you the skills to train clients, create advanced fitness plans, develop your business and run training sessions, either 1-2-1 or for small or larger groups.
You will also receive support throughout your studies.
We have over 30 years of experience in the industry with a broad range of clients and partnerships to set you up with the right connections to start your career.
The benefits of taking this course
- Access to first-class eLearning resources
- 0% finance available – spread the cost with interest free monthly payments
- Access to specialised personal training software
- Unparalleled student support to help you along the way
- Access to discounted equipment
Weekends / Weekdays: Modular
The intensive course consists of eight modules and will give you all the necessary skills to start your career as an employed or freelance personal trainer.
- Format: Classroom based.
- Duration: 33 days over 7 consecutive weeks
What you will learn
This course will give you the technical skills, confidence and ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of clients. We will teach you the skills to apply the knowledge to goals and programmes for your clients and train you to deliver and evaluate safe and effective sessions for one to one and small group training.
The most widely recognised entry level fitness industry qualification, the YMCAfit gym instructor programme provides you with the foundation to become a great instructor and develop into a personal trainer. You will gain a deeper understanding of the human body, so that you can learn how to design a tailored gym programme and use gym equipment in an effective and safe manner.
Expand your knowledge base and understand the application of more advanced anatomy and physiology to allow you to develop periodised programmes, assess health and fitness levels and train clients in a wide range of environments. Also included are ways to maintain safety and welfare in a fitness environments, and nutrition basics to support clients during their exercise programme.
The new business principles module will set you up for success, help you build a business, define a brand, generate sales and make key decisions about what type of PT you want to be.
This module will develop your skills so that you can have effective, efficient conversations with clients to encourage them to make changes to their current activity levels, build self-confidence to achieve their goals and support them in making lifestyle changes.
Train clients through a range of movements using the straps to manipulate client’s bodyweight to produce a full body workout. Learn how to correctly set up equipment and employ the principles of suspension training so that you can plan an effective session for a variety of clients.
Learn to use equipment such as gloves, focus pads, Muay Thai boxing pads, and combat style equipment such as skipping ropes and medicine balls to help clients develop power, strength and endurance. Create challenging combat style exercises for either one-to-one or small group sessions.
This module will provide you with a first aid qualification that will be valid for three years from the day of training. This is essential to any freelance Personal Trainer or instructor working with clients and is often an insurance requirement.
HIIT is one of is one of the most popular training methods for clients, it’s time efficient, great for groups or one to one training. Learn everything you need to know about high intensity training so you have the skills you need to deliver this popular session.
Plus, on the course you’ll also learn to:
- Identify the major bones, muscles and muscle actions of the body
- Explain the workings of the body’s cardiovascular (CV) and energy systems
- Identify the components and principles of fitness
- Relate the Health and Safety at Work Act to the gym environment
- Identify good customer care and strategies for the adoption and maintenance of physical activity
- Apply basic skills that will enable you to include older adult, disabled, and antenatal and post-natal client groups in your sessions
- Compile a client’s personal profile and Set SMART goals as part of an effective training programme
- Review, evaluate and adapt personal training programmes to meet clients’ lifestyle changes
- Write periodised programmes using effective cardiovascular and resistance training systems for an individual to meet specific training goals
- Identify and demonstrate advanced teaching skills in order to deliver safe and effective exercise programmes
- Perform a range of specific health and fitness assessments, such as blood pressure, cardiovascular fitness, flexibility and body fat percentage
- Learn to apply nutritional guidelines to a range of individual goals
How you will be assessed
A combination of practical and written assessment methods including:
- Practical – you will be required to bring one helper for your Level 2 Gym Instructor assessment
- Practical – you will use a peer on your course for the Level 3 Personal Trainer assessment
- Practical – ongoing assessment on each module
- Multiple choice theory papers
- Case studies
What you qualify with
- YMCA Awards Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training
- YMCA Awards Level 2 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work
- YMCAfit Kettlebells
- YMCAfit Padwork for PTs
- YMCAfit High Intensity Training
- YMCAfit Suspension Fitness
- YMCAfit Business Principles
- 20 REPs points / Entry to REPs at Level 3
- CIMSPA: 10hrs development CPD credits for completion of Behaviour Change elearning
Who can do this course
- Anyone over 16
- Must have experience using cardiovascular equipment; fixed and free weights within a gym environment
How to book
Call us on 0203 7954599 to book your course or fill out our request a call back form.
We accept debit or credit cards over the phone or in person at our London head office. Our office is open 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday.
You can either pay:
- in full
- or by setting up an interest free finance installments.
If you are over 18, you can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan that could cover the cost of elements of your course. Find out if you are eligible.